- • Alleviates anxiety and depression
- • Shows positive results in weight loss
- • Improves sleep patterns and minimizes insomnia
- Helps with dieting
- Improves mood
- • Cannot be used by pregnant women, nursing mothers and people with Down syndrome
NOW 5-HTP – Does NOW Foods 5-HTP Or 5-Hydroxytryptophan Improve Mental Health and Mood?
About 2/3 of American adults are taking at least one dietary supplement and other medications for physical & mental health and ailments. The good news is that a superior supplement is now in the market. It is called Now 5-HTP and also known as oxitriptan or “hydroxy L-tryptophan” or 5-Hydroxytryptophan. This is another quality product by NOW Foods, a leader in the dietary supplement industry. Users take 5-HTP to alleviate insomnia and improve sleep, treat anxiety and depression as well as weight loss.
What is 5-HTP or 5-Hydroxytryptophan?
“Hydroxy L-tryptophan” is a metabolite of the amino acid tryptophan that came from the seeds of Griffonia simplicifolia, a native climbing woody shrub from West Africa. It is a precursor of serotonin and it affects your moods and emotions. Serotonin calms and brings about feelings of contentment. The production of serotonin is increased with the aid of Vitamin B6.
Benefits of NOW 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan):
- Shows positive results in weight loss.
- Alleviates anxiety and depression.
- Improves sleep patterns and minimizes insomnia.
- Diminishes cravings for carbohydrates for those on low diet of carbohydrate.
- Helps with obesity (dieting).
- Reduces addictive behavior.
- Treats migraines and premenstrual syndrome.
- Maximizes production of serotonin that is responsible for feelings of well-being.
- Increases levels of the body’s hormones in the brain
How Does NOW 5-HTP or 5-Hydroxytryptophan Compare With Other Competitors?
In comparison with its competitors, Now 5-HTP is more effective in the treatment of many body ailments especially depression and fibromyalgia. Research shows that taking a daily dosage of 50-3000 mg oxitriptan for 2-4 weeks can improve and reduce the symptoms of depression.
Early studies show that the supplement is even better than the conventional antidepressant therapy. Given an oral dose, patients exhibit improved symptoms of fibromyalgia minimizing severity of pain, morning stiffness and sleeplessness.
Working in both the brain and central nervous system, 5-Hydroxytryptophan increases the production of the chemical serotonin simultaneously. Serotonin plays an important role in appetite, pain sensation, sexual behavior, sleep and temperature. Since hydroxy L-tryptophan increases the synthesis of serotonin, it is used to alleviate several diseases and medical conditions.
According to Now Foods 5-HTP reviews and evaluations, this supplement is far better compared with serotonin-selective re-uptake inhibitor drugs.
NOW 5-HTP Pros and Cons
- It is a natural way to boost serotonin levels in your brain and Now 5-HTP has been shown to be safe and beneficial.
- It helps with anxiety and depression.
- It has zero to little side effects unlike pharmaceutical drugs that have many side effects.
- Brings relief to conditions like depression, insomnia, weight gain, and mood swings etc.
- Stop eating binges because it boosts your serotonin level.
- Overcomes insomnia as the neurotransmitter in hydroxy L-tryptophan induces your brain to sleep.
- Price is competitive and worth its value.
- Cannot be used by pregnant women, nursing mothers and people with Down syndrome.
- Some users have feedback about nausea after taking the supplement.
NOW 5-HTP Ingredients
Vitamin B6 – 3 mg vitamin B6 with a daily value of 150%. Water soluble Vitamin B6 is naturally present in many food sources and makes an ideal dietary supplement.
Zinc – 3 mg zinc with a daily value of 20%. Zinc, an essential trace mineral, is needed by the body to maintain good health and is contained in many of your daily food.
Hydroxytryptophan – Containing amino acid, it acts as the chemical precursor between reactions taking place in the melatonin and neurotransmitters coming from the tryptophan.
Eleuthero root – Eleuthero, also called as Siberian ginseng belongs to the ginseng family and has been an important feature in Chinese herbal medicine for the last thousands of years.
Ashwagandha root – Ashwagandha is a plant whose root & berry are used to make medicine and helps the body cope during stress.
Suma bark – Suma bark from a tree in the Amazon rainforest is used to improve various ailments including anxiety, erectile malaise, fatigue and stress.
FAQ About NOW 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan)
1. What is Now 5-HTP?
An intermediary between tryptophan and the brain chemical serotonin is this amino acid. It is known to act as mild anti-depressant in treating many bodily ailments.
2. How does it work?
As immediate precursor to serotonin, it boosts the levels of the storage section of the axon terminal that transverses the gap between nerves towards the dendrite and its receptors.
3. What is the best time to take the supplement?
Since metabolization is fast, it can be taken anytime of the day. But as a general rule, take 1 Vcap daily, preferably on an empty stomach at bedtime.
4. What are the legitimate uses of oxitriptan?
Oxitriptan is useful in combating many types of ailments and that in itself is legitimate.
5. Is the supplement harmful?
Researchers who have been using the product for over 25 years provide evidence that this natural oxitriptan does not cause early morning stiffness. Furthermore, studies conducted by the National Institute of Health’s researchers on the connection between the supplement with several metabolic conditions have not come across any single case of EMS or an elevated case of eosinophils, a white-blood cell condition.
6. What are the advantages of 5-HTP over L-tryptophan?
5-HTP has several advantages compared with L-tryptophan: (1) It is the precursor to serotonin; (2) It is provides more benefits than L-tryptophan; (3) It has been proven to be safe when properly prepared; (4) It is not connected to any serious reaction; (5) It is isolated from a natural source – a seed from an African plant.
7. How does Hydroxy L-tryptophan or 5-Hydroxytryptophan compare to other anti-depressants?
After comparing uses of 5-HTP and SSRI among patients, it showed that more patients responded to 5-HTP than fluvoxamine and the former was quicker acting than the latter.
8. Are there any side effects in using NOW 5 HTP?
The only reported side effects were very mild to mild cases of gastrointestinal problems, heartburn and nausea. In the fluvoxamine group, most of the side effects experienced were from moderate to severe intensity. As this is quality formulation manufactured by NOW Foods, a top dietary supplement manufacturer, you can be assured of the product quality and safety.
9. Are there any interactions with other supplement/medications?
It should be noted that NOW 5-HTP should not be taken together with any of the following:
Carbidopa, Carbidopa/Levodopa, Fluoxetine, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine, Selegiline, Sertraline, Sibutramine, Sumatriptan, Tramadol, Venlafaxine, Zolmitriptan and Zolpidem
This is to prevent any possible adverse reaction or side effects.
10. Where can you purchase NOW Foods 5-HTP?
Now 5-HTP is found in drug stores, health food stores or online.
The price is low considering the diverse benefits offered by this supplement.
Look for the pure griffonia simplicifolia extract on the bottle. Be sure it does not contain any additives, binders or fillers.
11. Is this supplement suitable for you?
While the supplement is generally safe, it is not suitable for everyone.
If you have a medical condition or are on medication, please consult your doctor before taking any supplement.
The product cannot be used by pregnant women, nursing mothers and people with Down syndrome.